Reetu Gupta: Today’s Notable Young Professional
Today’s Notable Young Professional is Reetu Gupta, COO, The Gupta Group. We caught up with her to find out what inspired her career and where she sees herself in 5, 10, and 20 years…
1. Describe what you do in less than 140 characters. Go.
I wake up everyday, love what I do, and go to a place some would call work but I call life. I oversee 15 hotels as well as our Real Estate Development arm. Personally, through my company, The Shakti Society, I aim to bring spirituality to others.
2. What was the inspiration for your career route?
I have always loved hotels – there is magic there. As a child when we would visit hotels, I would be so excited and think “one day…” This also turned into my family business, so inspiration would come from everywhere, but mostly my parents.
3. What is the most memorable milestone in your career so far?
Our first condo project called King Blue. I led the team that created the project. It won numerous marketing awards and later became so coveted that it was acquired by a company overseas. I smiled and thanked God for giving me this opportunity and this blessing.
4. Where do you see yourself in 5 years, 10 years, 20 years?
When I plan my day, it always changes the day of. And I absolutely love that my days are dynamic. I cannot tell you where I will be, but I can tell you that I will be happy, and I hope that I can inspire that spark of happiness in others as well.
5. Do you have any advice for other young professionals?
I will always say that you must have three things: Courage, Confidence and Conviction. Have the courage to pursue your dreams, have confidence in your abilities, and always make every decision with absolute conviction.
6. Do you support any charities? If so, which one(s) and why is it (or they) important to you?
Yes, this topic is very close to my heart. I feel that I am blessed in many ways, so it’s vital to give back and ensure that others are granted opportunities. Through the Easton’s Group of Hotels, I run fundraising campaigns every year with WaterAid, where we have supported water projects in Africa and recently supported a region in Nicaragua over the PanAm Games. I also competed in Dancing With The Stars Mississauga to raise funds for the Community Foundation of Mississauga. Through The Shakti Society I hope to bring education to children in places like Africa and India.
7. What is one major challenge that you’ve had to overcome in your career? How did you overcome it?
Without challenge, you would not grow. I love challenges.
8. What does the word notable mean to you?
Notable means noteworthy. To me, it means something of significance, and I am honoured that anything I have done has been considered “noteworthy” by Notable! Thank you.
1. Where is your favourite place to wine/ dine in your city and why?
I am vegan, so my favourite place is Joey’s! Nice atmosphere and great options for me.
2. What’s the most visited website on your Internet browser? The most played song on your phone?
Most played: anything Beyonce or Drake.
3. Who’s one person you think everyone should be following on social media?
You should follow someone or something that will inspire you every day. I read quotes by Swami Vivekananda.
4. What’s your favourite country to visit and why? And what’s the next one you plan on travelling to?
India! So much culture, vibrancy, and of course spirituality. On my list is Mauritius.
5. What gives you the greatest FOMO?
Missing a Beyonce concert.
6. What’s your guiltiest pleasure?
I secretly tend to OD on Sweet Chili Crispy Minis and watch Pretty Little Liars or Gossip Girl… *covers face with hands*
7. What’s something you wish you didn’t spend so much money on? What’s something you wish you spent more on?
I don’t live life with regret, so whatever I choose to do, I do so proudly! I should probably spend more money on groceries as I tend to make quick food with whatever I have in the fridge.
8. And finally, what does success look like to you? Work, play, or otherwise…
Success looks like a person who is smiling from within. He or she is happy to wake up and thanks God before bed.